prlgy 30 mg

Coffee, Oat, and White Bean Smoothie

August 11, 2012

Am I the only one who has trouble taking a flattering picture of a smoothie? You’d think it wouldn’t be that difficult, but clearly I need to practice my skills when it comes to photographing reflective glassware and murky liquids! Our overcast mornings haven’t been giving me many chances to try for better, either. Oh well, at least the ivory-striped paper straw is cute, right?

I’ve had this for breakfast, oh, six mornings out of the last seven. It is tasty! And a nice, creamy, shake-like alternative to fruity smoothies. Plus, it allows you to have your morning coffee and your breakfast all in one glass, freeing up a hand and car cup-holder!

I fiddled with the recipe a bit every day and finally arrived at this favorite version to share with you. The oats make it thick, substantial, and kind of mild in taste. I really like the addition of the beans to make it more filling as a breakfast, but if you’d rather it be lighter or bean-free you can certainly leave them out. To make breakfast quick and easy in the morning, I freeze the banana and refrigerate the coffee before I go to bed.

I have always been a decaf coffee kind of girl, except for a few particularly ferocious semesters of college. So, I am sure some of you may prefer a caffeine-free, non-acidic, and/or socially-responsible alternative to coffee too. Do you know about Teecino? It comes in several flavors like chai, pumpkin spice, hazelnut, etc. and is available as “grounds” or single-serve “tee bags.” I was never a coffee aficionado, but it tastes pretty similar to me.

You could probably substitute a couple of teaspoons of maple syrup for the dates if you don’t have them on hand- maybe reduce the amount of coffee a bit in that case? If your dates are hard or you think they’ll give your blender trouble, soak them in your milk or coffee for at least 10-20 minutes (or overnight), and then chop them up into pieces before putting them in the blender.

I haven’t tried spinach in this…. yet. It’s probably only a matter of time though. :)

Coffee, Oat, and White Bean Smoothie

(adapted from Living Without magazine)

1 banana, sliced and then frozen on a cookie sheet for at least 2 hours (seems easiest to me to scrape it off the cookie sheet with a spatula)

1 cup coffee, chilled (or Teecino herbal alternative to coffee)

1/3 cup dried dates, pits removed (about 2 large dates)

1 Tbsp. ground flax seed

1/2 cup uncooked oats (not instant)

1/4 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened vanilla)

1 Tbsp. macademia nuts, almond butter, or other nut or nut butter (optional)

an extra 1/4 to 1/2 cup coffee and 1/2 cup cooked Great Northern beans (optional)

~

Make sure your dates are pitted. Combine all ingredients in your blender and puree until smooth.

Makes one large smoothie or two small.

~

This recipe is gluten-free as long as you use gluten-free oats, as well as dairy-free and vegan. You can make it nutritarian by only using 2 Tbsp. of dates, or omitting them altogether.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

nancyc August 11, 2012 at 9:42 am

That smoothie sounds great! I also find it challenging taking pictures of those! :) I love the striped straws, too!

Sharon August 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Oh, thank you so much for the support, I am thrilled not to be the only weak smoothie photographer! They are tough! I really hope you like it- maybe it is just me, but I am loving its thickish shake-like texture and the coffee flavor as opposed to my normal fruit combinations! Thank you for stopping by, Nancy! Glad to hear from you!

Gay K August 11, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I hadn’t heard of Teeccino, but am ordering some of their tee-bagged coffee; I’ve been doing mostly caffeine free coffee for the past few years, but can’t make a full pot of decaf at work, and really dislike instant coffee, so these may be perfect.
And, yes, the straws are adorable!

Sharon August 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Oh good, AGG, I hope you like it! Don’t they have a ton of cool flavors on their site? I think I even saw a raspberry one. Hey, maybe you can convince your co-workers to go caffeine-free too, and then you guys can brew a whole pot of Teecino to share! :) Hope you like the bags, let me know how they are! We have only tried the grounds. Thank you for sharing!

Our Kitchen Inventions August 13, 2012 at 9:36 am

Looks really tasty…Hubby said to “try using a diffused light ring; that can cut down on the glare. Camera stores sell the rings. Depends on your camera”. Hope that helps!

Sharon August 13, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Oh, Susan, that is so sweet of your husband! I hope my picture didn’t hurt his eyes too badly! He was probably like “AH tell that girl not to quite her day job!” :) Thank him very much for the tip. I will probably not jump into improving my photography right at the moment because I have a few other projects in the air right now, but will definitely, definitely keep this comment in mind for when the time comes to take that step! Thank you, as always, for visiting. Hope you love the smoothie if you try it!

katie September 14, 2012 at 10:29 am

i don’t know why i have never thought of beans in a smoothie. i love that idea and will try soon.

granolagrits September 15, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Yeah! Just use strong enough flavors to cover up the beans… like cherries, coffee, almond butter all work well, but I think strawberries and bananas are too lightly-flavored by themselves in my opinion. Hope you like! I love the oat + bean + banana combo, it really seems to work better for me than lighter, fruitier smoothies!