prlgy 30 mg

A Simple Breakfast

February 17, 2013

This post isn’t much, just a simple little breakfast idea that came together yesterday morning: whole grain cornbread + raw honey or jam + organic plain Greek yogurt.

What are your favorite breakfasts that you can pull together easily? Are there simple combinations that tend to reappear on your plate? There is just something so pleasing to me about a few casual components that can be assembled nearly effortlessly, and let you get on with reading the paper or other leisurely morning activities.

The vegan cornbread recipe I keep coming back to is from the book Vegan Lunch Box, though this time I used less maple syrup than called for, and brown rice flour (and xanthan gum) instead of whole wheat. If you use the full amount of syrup, the pan turns out sweet and almost cakelike.

If you’re wondering, yes, several of these ingredients are departures from my “norms.” I don’t typically use much flour (aiming instead for whole grains that are less processed) and I don’t buy animal proteins all the time. However, though I try to maximize plant foods, I do still love plain Greek yogurt. I don’t make it a weekly staple, but when I want some, I get a tub and enjoy it. And by the time yesterday morning rolled around, I’d been craving cornbread for days. I stirred some together as soon as we got out of bed. Which worked out nicely, because I wouldn’t mind using up a few random bags of cornmeal and flour before we clean out our apartment and move this summer.

I’d love to hear your favorite simple breakfast ideas in the comments section! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Our Kitchen Inventions February 19, 2013 at 10:57 am

That’s so funny….we were both craving cornbread this week and made some for dinner the other night…it is just one of those things that are special, tasty, and worth whipping out that old iron skillet!! Looks tasty.

granolagrits February 19, 2013 at 8:05 pm

That is funny! Great minds think alike, I guess! :) I will think of you next time I pull out my bag of cornmeal…

Laura February 20, 2013 at 11:50 am

This looks so good! I usually just have yogurt and granola for breakfast. Just came across your blog, it is lovely and just wanted to say hello!

granolagrits February 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Hi Laura! Thank you so much for stopping by, I am glad you did! I hope you like the cornbread idea if you try it. I also love granola and yogurt for breakfast… I used to have it all the time growing up, and there is something so yummy about it. Do you ever make your own granola? If so, we love this maple and olive oil one: http://food52.com/recipes/15831-nekisia-davis-olive-oil-and-maple-granola. It tastes best with brown sugar, but I’ve made it with Sucanat before to try to be healthier. :) Let me know if you have any favorite granolas you keep coming back to! Glad to “meet” you!

Laura February 20, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for the link! I have not tried my own granola but would love to! Looking forward to reading more of your posts and exploring the books and articles you posted on your about page!

granolagrits February 21, 2013 at 4:08 pm

You’re very welcome! Hope you like it if you try it. I think that one and this one from Nigella Lawson’s cookbook are the favorites I’ve found: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/andys-fairfield-granola-138. It is not too hard, mostly just measuring, stirring, and baking. And it makes your house smell good. :) Hope you have fun exploring and find the resources and things useful. I look forward to reading more on your blog too. Love inspirational places and creative places like yours lately!

Teresa Ryan February 20, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Hi Sharon, I found your blog through Jeanne Oliver’s group. I love this breakfast idea, I’ve never thought of cornbread for breakfast. Sounds good to me. Don’t you just love Jeanne? She is so generous with her teaching. She really puts her whole heart into her videos. Teresa

granolagrits February 21, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Hi Teresa! Good to “meet” you! I am glad you are enjoying the class. Jeanne really does seem like such a unique, intentional, genuine person! And I’m glad you like the idea of cornbread for breakfast! I really enjoyed it for a few days, hope you do too if you try it! :) Thanks for visiting! I love the “to ride” piece of art on the top left of your blog header, so beautiful.